I am so excited to have the pleasure of posting my first "Guest Blog" from none other than Green Beauty Britanie, of Beauty by Britanie! This natural beauty is one of my favourites in the green beauty blogger realm. She is a DIY maven with an expertise in herbs and wellness. This blog was inspired after I tried her recipe for a natural clarifying toner made from rooibos tea. I was so impressed that I had to repost it and share it with the LPN community. I hope you enjoy her post and be sure to visit her blog and see her other fantastic posts.
Clarifying Rooibos Facial Toner from Beauty by Britanie
Facial toners are fantastic additions to the green beauty toolkit, especially during the Spring and Summer months when the weather is warmer meaning a need for both extra hydration and oil control.
Facial toners are both hydrating and calming and while there are many different recipes you can play around with - this one is a winner. Britanie recommends using an essential oil in your facial toner for the extra aromatherapy and skin benefits. She prefers to use Sandalwood as it’s very calming and hydrating.
Substitutes such as Lavender, Tea Tree, Geranium, Neroli can be used depending on your skin type. Further, Britanie also recommends using Coconut water in this recipe, but you could easily substitute the coconut water for rosewater or plain water. If you have a sensitivity to Apple Cider Vinegar you can leave it out entirely, but she enjoys using a small amount as she finds it helps to tighten pores and fight blemishes.
What You Will Need:
- Rooibos Tea – This is the main ingredient in the facial toner
- The benefits of Rooibos for skin and health are endless - great for dry skin, eczema, acne and plumping the skin
- Coconut Water – You can use this in place of water for added skin-loving benefits like extra hydration and anti-aging
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ACV is wonderful for deep cleaning the skin and getting right down into the pores and shrinking them
- Sandalwood Oil – Great for sensitive skin and those with eczema
- Mine is diluted in Jojoba Oil but you could also use pure Sandalwood – or just skip the Sandalwood
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon of Rooibos Tea to teapot and add boiling water, let steep for atleast 15 minutes
- Do not pour tea into bottle or other storage container until it is cooled down
- While the Rooibos is steeping, add 2 teaspoons of Coconut Water into bottle or jar of choice
- Add 1/2 teaspoon – 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) into same bottle
- The amount will depend on your preference. If you have oily skin and battle with acne you may want to add more of the ACV.
- I like to only use 1 teaspoon as I have more normal to dry skin and don’t need the extra amount of vinegar
- Stir the Coconut Water & ACV
- Add in 2-5 drops of diluted (or pure) Sandalwood Oil
- When the Rooibos Tea is cooled down, pour the desired amount into bottle or jar and stir or shake until the mixture is well blended
Because this toner contains no preservatives (yay! no parabens!) it will only stay fresh for a few weeks. I would recommend keeping in the fridge if you want it to last even longer. I keep it in my bathroom but use it daily and make a fresh batch every week or two.
Green Beauty Tip: You can always add Vitamin E to this mix to act as a natural preservative and make it last longer!
Thanks to the beautiful Britanie for her gracious share.
Here's to clear and toned skin for summer!