How to ensure that meat-loving boyfriend and vegetarian girlfriend eat dinner together? The answer is simple: create dishes that sound like they contain meat… and surprise them with how good they taste!
This weekend my house was completely meat-free, thanks to a few good recipes and crisp fall air that encourages creations such as stuffed butternut squash… and burgers.
Not only were these burgers quick, they were delicious, alkaline (check out the importance of an alkaline body in a previous post), vegan and easy to make!
Without further adieu, here is the best Vegan Quinoa Burger recipe*:
What You Will Need:
- ½ cup of rinsed Quinoa
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (Quinoa Flour, Amaranth Flour, Millet Flour etc.)
- 2 Tbs raw coconut oil
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium to large red onion, minced
- 3 cups of organic spinach (or collards, stems removed), finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and minced
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or orange), seeds removed and minced
- 2 stalks of celery, minced
- 1 Tbs of Cumin
- Sea salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp. stone ground pepper
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, with the lid on until cooked (approx. 15 minutes)
- In a frying pan, heat 1/2 of the allocated coconut oil with the garlic and onions (approx. 3 minutes)
- Add the greens (spinach, collards etc.), carrots, bell pepper and celery, cook for 2 minutes and then add the cumin
- Take the quinoa and add in a sprinkle of cumin and pepper
- Add the quinoa to the frying pan, and adjust seasonings (salt, maybe some cayenne pepper if you like it spicy)
- Turn off the heat, place contents into a mixing bowl and add the flour to the veggie quinoa mix – stir well until everything is coated – set aside
- Clean the frying pan while the mixture cools
- Then, heat the pan on high and add the rest of the coconut oil
- Make patties from the mixture in the bowl (approximately 3 inches in diameter)
- Cook each burger on both sides until brown and crispy
*The recipe is a combination of 3 different burger recipes I’ve tried, I hope you enjoy this version!