I sit here, writing to you from an electromagnetic field, and you, reading this article, are likely sitting in an electromagnetic field (EMF) yourself. Because EMF radiation is so pervasive (it's literally everywhere), I felt it a worthwhile topic to start a discussion around, as it's gone quiet lately in the wellness space.
It's no wonder we don't talk about it so much these days: We love our laptops and cellphones, and giving them up would be, well, near impossible.
I was both excited and daunted to write this post - I knew I would learn a lot, but it would also require a great deal of research. While I picked up a lot of information, I'll preface this post with a clear note: I am no expert on the field, nor a doctor, nor a researcher. That being said I feel it important to share with you what I learned, and what you should be thinking about when it comes to EMF radiation and you.
What is EMF Radiation?
EMF radiation is short for electromagnetic field radiation.
Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) have been around since the beginning of time. We receive natural EMFs from the sun and earth everyday; however, these days man-made radiation is abound in everything from the lightbulb to the laptop. It includes visible light, radio waves, gamma rays and X-rays. Electromagnetic forces exists naturally within all matter - even the human body - and are vital for biological processes. That being said, new forms of man-made electromagnetic radiation from cellphones and wireless technologies pose potential risks to human health.
Is EMF Radiation Safe?
In 2011 the World Health Organization classified electromagnetic radiation from cellphones as possibly carcinogenic to humans.
Today, more and more studies are showing links to EMF radiation and ailments from everything ranging from asthma to cancer, and from fertility to autism. We also see studies that have shown the dangers of too much high frequency radiation, for example: pregnant women are not supposed to have x-rays as the radiation can harm the fetus. However, we don't know so much about the cumulative affect of lower frequency radiation over time.
Each field has its own radiation length. There is a spectrum ranging from "high frequency radiation" (the extreme of this being radioactive sources and x-rays) and "low frequency radiation" (AM radios).
What Should I Watch Out for?
Today's cell phone networks, wifi signals and our smart appliances are just the beginning of our daily exposure to man-made EMFs. That being said, there are a few things to note if you're wondering about the safety of EMF waves, including: frequency (higher frequency waves are higher risk), density (the amount in a given area), strength and duration of exposure (prolonged duration is usually worse).
How Can I Reduce My EMF Exposure, Naturally?
While you cannot null your exposure to zero, here's a quick list of things you can do to help lower your exposure to potentially harmful EMFs:
- Use an ethernet cable for internet if possible, if not, unplug the router it when it’s not in use (for example, before bed) and keep it in an area where people don't spend too much time
- Keep your cell phone at a distance from your body where possible, especially when not in use. When in use, use radiation-free earbuds (check out DefenderShield's here), text or use speaker phone to make calls
- Keep your computer at a distance where possible, and avoid holding it in your lap, where it directly radiates your reproductive organs. Instead, use protection tools such as DefenderPad under your laptop, and EMF shields for cell phone (DefenderShield products are patent pending portable device radiation and heat shields that interweave many high-tech mediums, structured in a way to deliver protection from a broad spectrum of harmful electronic emissions).
- Keep appliances and devices off when not in use (unplug and airplane mode are perfect for bedtime)
- Sleep away from circuit breakers or large appliances that run overnight, including if the appliance is on the other side of the wall
- Avoid installing halogen and fluorescent lighting in your home (or change it out, if possible)
- Ditch your cordless phone in the home, and instead opt for a corded phone (if you must have one at home)
- If the signal on your cell is weak, wait until you’re in an area with a full reception to make a call
Other Helpful Ways to Protect Yourself
- Get Negative - Exposure yourself to negative ions, which can be found in moving water (go for a walk near the ocean or a river), or get yourself a Himalayan Salt Lamp, or a negative ion generator
- Try Earthing - a practice of walking barefoot outside, with the soles of your feet free to directly connect with the surface of the earth; this practice results in significant reductions in voltage in the body
- Eat Well - antioxidant rich foods can help protect the body from the negative effects of EMFs. A diet that is nutrient-dense is essential. Stock up on blueberries, cilantro and asparagus to start yourself off on the right foot.
If you're interested in learning more, a quick Google search will provide you with a plethora of reading materials on the topic - including scientific studies and research done by both sides of the argument.
While the debate is still up in the air about the dangers and significance of them in the long term, I'll be erring on the side of caution over here with my DefenderShield and speaker phone.
Coupon code for the DefenderShield is LPN10