I love Sundays. I would argue they are my favourite day of the week, namely because I try not to plan much and instead just hang around the house with a cup of tea, a good book, my journal and of course, try out some new skincare. This week was Oleum Vera, an organic, non-GMO, DIY skincare kit.
Today was as little more exciting, as I finally got to try Oleum Vera’s DIY skincare system. Why is it exciting? Because it is DIY organic skincare. It comes with a fantastic set of ingredients (to help you blend and combine to your hearts content – and comes with instructions so you can be sure to create the perfect “system” for your skin type.
Combining the different ingredients made for a good learning experience, as did testing out the products when I was finished.
DIY Organic Lemon & Cucumber Toner Recipe
First thing I created was the toner. Oleum Vera stocks you with the Vegetable-based glycerine, the non-GMO vitamin E and you just add the rest of the ingredients from your fridge or cupboard.
This toner is for normal to combination skin. Since most of the toners I use are floral waters, I thought it would be nice to have something a little more clarifying for days leading up to my moon cycle. Great for the odd hormonal breakout, or just keeping things feel fresh post cleanse.
- ½ large organic cucumber, diced small (cooling on the skin)
- 3 tbs (45 ml) organic witch hazel oil (helps to tighten the skin and get rid of bacteria)
- 2 tbs (30 ml) organic green tea (antioxidant rich and cooling)
- 1 tbs (15 ml) organic lemon juice (a glow-getter ingredient)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) non-GMO plant-based glycerin (attracts and retains moisture)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) non-GMO vitamin E oil (natural preservative)
Blend all ingredients together in a blender. Then, use a piece of cheese cloth or a coffee filter to strain the mixture so you’re left with just the liquid. Pour it into the glass bottle provided.
DIY Organic Face Serum with Geranium and Pomegranate
This serum I made was for dry or sensitive skin, and since it is snowing outside and the heat is pumping in here, I can’t help but think my skin could use a little extra moisture.
This was by far my favourite part. I absolutely love facial oils and serums, so getting to create my own was fun (I also learned something new). I focused on healing oils, and wanted something for dryness and anti-aging. I decided to opt for a pomegranate and geranium oil face serum with a base of jojoba and marula oil.
- 1 tbs (15 ml) organic marula oil (light but big source of fatty acids – so great for skin elasticity)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) organic jojoba oil (has similar structure to human sebum, so it is great for balancing)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) organic pomegranate seed oil (deeply penetrating and full of antioxidants)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) non-GMO vitamin E oil (a natural preservative)
- 6 drops organic geranium essential oil (cooling and balancing effect on the skin, also great for wrinkles)
- 6 drops organic frankincense essential oil (protects skin, helps to lift and tighten)
The whole kit retails for $75 USD – which is a fantastic price when you consider you’re getting two facial oils and a toner from the box. Not to mention the fun.
The facial kit comes with two bottles for the moisturizing serum, perhaps consider creating one for a friend (or with a friend).
Happy Sunday, loves.
Shop the Post