Last Sunday I posted a picture on my Instagram & Facebook account of some apple crisp I made. It was gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan and downright delicious. I guess I made enough mouths water - rightfully so, look at that picture :) - as I had a few requests for the recipe. Well, I thought this Sunday would be a good opportunity to pass it on, so you can cozy up with a bowl yourself this evening. The perfect February desert.
It's super easy, quick, and the perfect comfort food. Not to mention, relatively guilt-free and nourishing as far as deserts are concerned. I adapted a couple different recipes that were not gluten-free/sugar-free, to create a recipe that was perfect for me. I hope you enjoy! xx
- 4 - 5 medium apples peeled & sliced
- 1/2 juice from a medium lemon
- 1 tsp liquid vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 - 2 tbs honey depending on how sweet you like it (I used 1 tbs and found it enough)
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (about 375 F)
- Peel & slice apples, put in bowl and toss with lemon juice
- Pour liquid vanilla on apple slices
- Sprinkle nutmeg & cinnamon on apples
- Pour 1 tbs of liquid honey on apples
- Combine with hands making sure apple slices are equally covered
- Pour into a baking dish (different sizes will work, but I used a square 8X8 baking dish)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I used quinoa)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (to cut in like pastry)
Directions for Topping
- Combine dry ingredients & spices in a bowl
- Add in sweeteners and stir
- Once it starts to ball up cut in the coconut oil, like you're cutting butter into pastry
- Sprinkle the the topping overtop of the apples in the baking dish.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes -- watch the topping, it should brown but not burn!
Vegan Vanilla Ice "kreme" Ingredients
- 2 Frozen bananas
- 1/4 tsp of powdered vanilla
- 3 tbs of "mylk" - I used a blend of coconut & rice milk
- 2 - 3 "cracks" of pink himalayan sea salt
- Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- When there are about 5 minutes left on your apple crisp, prepare the "ice"
- Add all ingredients to blender... and blend :)
- Stir in the chopped walnuts (if desired)
- Once your apple crisp is ready and *slightly* cooled, add the ice on top of the apple crisp in small bowls
Brand New Day Microdermabrasion by One Love Organics & Themis Masque Chocolat
Sending you lots of cozy Sunday love, beauties!